Make sure all necessary changes have been committed into the repository:
- Make sure you have the right branch checked out and no pending changes are in the working copy:
- If the new release should have any release notes, make sure these appear both in wwwroot/inc/upgrade.php and in README.
- Update ChangeLog file to have the current date on the to-be version line.
- Make sure upgrade.php has the to-be version listed in $versionhistory and getUpgradeBatch(). It is normal to accumulate updates in getUpgradeBatch() long before the release, this way on the release day you will have nothing to do in upgrade.php. But if you had no changes to DB since the last release, you are likely to see there changes missing. Just make sure the new version is in both places anyway.
- Bump up CODE_VERSION in wwwroot/inc/config.php. DON'T do this unless you really intend to make a release right now.
- Produce a commit with all changes pending thus far:
git add ChangeLog wwwroot/inc/config.php git commit
- Check the source code out from the same branch to a clean location to test it.
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:RackTables/racktables.git cd racktables git checkout master # or maintenance
- The application must be able to install itself using its own installer (only some of the involved code is in the Travis CI script). Once this is found working, dump the database:
mysqldump --extended-insert=FALSE --order-by-primary racktables_db > ~/tmp/dump-fresh.sql
- Demo data must be loadable without any errors (this is likely to be OK since this check is now in the Travis CI script):
mysql racktables_db < scripts/init-sample-racks.sql
- The release being tested must detect and upgrade a database from the previous release(s) correctly. Load the database with one of the previous releases data, then upgrade it with the current upgrader, then dump the DB. Now compare to the previous dump, there must be no meaningful differences.
# reload using the previous release /path/to/racktables-contribs/demo.racktables.org/demoreload.sh X.Y.z racktables_db no # (make through upgrade.php) mysqldump --extended-insert=FALSE --order-by-primary racktables_db > ~/tmp/dump-upgraded.sql diff -u ~/tmp/dump-fresh.sql ~/tmp/dump-upgraded.sql
- Setup a fresh database and grant access to the 'racktables_user' user. This will be used to create a sample data file that unit tests can utilize.
part 2 (unit testing)
The commands below need some proofreading because the test data files in the source code tree still use the racktables MySQL username, which I had for this reason used for the 0.20.12 release. Whatever is the agreed username, it probably should be consistent with what is in the SQL dumps. -- Denis
DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS racktables_unittest; CREATE DATABASE racktables_unittest CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci; GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON racktables_unittest.* TO racktables_user@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'MY_SECRET_PASSWORD';
mysql -u racktables_user -p racktables_unittest < scripts/init-sample-racks.sql
mysqldump --skip-comments -u racktables_user -p racktables_unittest > tests/data/$CODE_VERSION.sql
cd tests ./express.sh phpunit --group large
part 3 (finalization)
the release itself
git tag RackTables-X.Y.z git push origin RackTables-X.Y.z
producing and publishing deliverables
- Make two archives:
TAG='RackTables-X.Y.z' git archive --prefix=$TAG/ -o $TAG.tar.gz $TAG git archive --prefix=$TAG/ -o $TAG.zip $TAG
- Upload the tarball and zipfile to SF FRS (from browser or by other means if you prefer). Give the uploaded files a couple minutes to make it through the system to the user-visible download area.
- Open files section and set the newly uploaded release files as "current".
- Open properties form (round "(i)" sign) of the previous release tar.gz.
- Unset all "default download for" checkboxes.
- Open properties form (round "(i)" sign) of the previous release zip.
- Unset Windows "default download for" checkbox.
- In the latest tarball properties form, set all "default download for" checkboxes except Windows.
- In the latest zipfile properties form, set Windows "default download for" checkbox.
- Hover the big green "download" button and watch the mouse hint featuring the right version number (sometimes it takes several minutes to see the update).
- Tip: to update the banner text below the file list of the SF's "Files" section open a terminal connection to SF shell and edit the file /home/frs/project/racktables/README.md (once done, let the SF 5-10 minutes to start using the updated revision).
- In MantisBT mark the released version as released (Manage, Manage Projects, RackTables, Versions). Add the next version with the release date several months into the future.
updating the main web-site
- In racktables-htdocs repository modify and commit header.php.
- On the web-server run git pull.
- Open https://racktables.org and test the "download" link to work.
updating other news feeds
- Send a letter to the racktables-users list (even more so after Freshmeat/Freecode is gone).
- Update IRC channel topic
- Produce a helper SQL file for the current release in racktables-contribs.
- Copy the previous init-full-X.Y.z.sql to current init-full-X.Y.z.sql and git add the new file.
- Take a clean RackTables instance of the current release (either use demoreload on the previous release or install manually).
- Make an SQL dump of this new installation like this: mysqldump --extended-insert=FALSE --order-by-primary racktables_db > init-full-X.Y.z.sql
- Edit permissions like this.
- git add -i the new file again (note interactive add). Use patch mode to add relevant chunks. Quit.
- git commit; git push
- Update demo.racktables.org to the current release ($demorelease will need an update). Below is a sample CLI session of updating the demo to 0.20.3:
cd ~/racktables git fetch git checkout RackTables-0.20.3 cd ln -s racktables RackTables-0.20.3 # the symlink to ~/secret.php is already in wwwroot/inc/ # the symlink to ~/google_analytics.php is already in plugins/ cd ~/racktables-contribs/ git pull cd ~/racktables-contribs/demo.racktables.org/demoreload.sh 0.20.3 rackdemo yes crontab -e # ../../racktables/wwwroot/index.php is already linked as www/demo/index.php